kastrup sea baths.

posted on: Friday, 31 August 2012








I used my free day from school to bike to Kastrup Sea Baths. Designed by the architect Frederik Pettersson as a sculpture for bathing, they are located a fifteen minute metro ride from Copenhagen's city centre. The curved walls provide shelter from the wind, a necessity in Denmark, a country renowned for its heavy gusts. The various levels create extra space for bathers to relax and soak up the sun. The baths have an organic feel, suspended against the ├śresund waterway. They look natural, as if they are native to the environment. There is also a distinctly Scandinavian quality in the simplistic yet structured design. I wasn't brave enough to take a dip but there were a few high school kids splashing and swimming.

It has been a while since I took the time to spend a day alone exploring somewhere new and it gave me a chance to reflect on the year that's been and the year that's coming. I'm through the first year living in Denmark and with that the frustrating process of figuring out systems, setting up an apartment and a life, and the adjustment to a new, polar culture. I've settled, made a home and am on the path to fluency in a new, but strange language. This year I will be facing the realities of life in a new country and what that actually means when the newness has worn off. I know it will be a year full of all sorts of new frustrations and challenges, after all I managed to get a flat tire on my way home, my third in three weeks. But I'm also excited about finding my way in my new home and sharing more about the city I live in and the life that comes with it.

Happy weekend everyone!

6 kommentarer:

  1. How lovely.

    Best of luck adjusting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! There's always that moment in a new city when you finally feel...home. I feel like even though the first new experiences to a city are always exciting, it's really getting to know the city in and out once it begins to feel home that makes for the best experiences. Best of luck with everything Nicola!

    Alex xo

    http://tovogueobust.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so beautiful there! Wow. Your new home is so inspiring that I may just have to jump on a plane and be across the Oresund from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would take me free day off to go there too! Its gorgeous!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice photos, it seems to be peaceful. A new experience, a new step in your new life in Denmark. I envy you, it looks untypical, there's nothing similar in France.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I appreciate reading all of your kind words.

N. Lynde All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger